Building a peer culture of respect.
By talking up respect in relationships and encouraging your friends and family to stand up and speak up, you can help build a culture of respect in Alaska, person by person.
Want to know more about how to get involved, take action, stand up and speak up in your community, then read on.
Read stories about Alaskan youth creating a culture of respect. CLICK HERE.
Tell us what projects you are doing in your community to help promote peace and equality and healthy relationships. CLICK HERE.
- Create support groups
- Make violence-free pacts with friends
- Become a peer educator or start a peer education program
- Start a program that promotes respect: Respect Rx, Fourth R Mentoring Program, Safe Schools and Safe Community Committee, a Lead On! Program.
- Mentor younger kids
- Look online and find some great ideas.
- Have a Facebook or MySpace account? Use it to send out positive messages about healthy relationships to friends! Help your friends get connected.
- Reach out and get to know people outside of your own clique.
- Stand up when you see disrespect! Let others know that violence and disrespect are never ok. It will not be tolerated.
If a friend needs help, let them know where to go for support. Let them know that they are worth it.
A stereotype is a simple way of thinking about differences, and roles of individuals and/or groups. Stereotypes can be positive or negative, but they are rarely correct for all people of any given group. For example, when people automatically think that a guy should act one way or a girl should act another way they are gender stereotyping. Most of us don't fit in a box.
- Take a look at how the media uses gender stereotypes and other stereotypes.
- Show respect to people who are different than yourself
- Think about how stereotypes have affected you (gender, culture-based, community)
- Learn how other people and cultures define gender
- Make a video on respect: http://www.videomaker.com/youtube/
- Apply for a mini-grant: http://www.andvsa.org/lead-on/
- Testify to your legislators
- Start a Leadership Circle: http://www.andvsa.org/lead-on/
- Start a peer education program: http://www.andvsa.org/home-page/real-alaskans-choose-respect-on-radio/
- Send us your artwork, writing, film, or other creations that can help us get the word out to Stand Up and Speak Up. http://standupspeakupalaska.org/contact-us/